I had to be down at the Riverside arena place at 8:45 AM to
help setup for the “Your Green Future” Event put on by the University. This
event is where the University invites school students (late middle school to 10th
grade) to come to this career fair/sustainability workshop. Basically the kids
can walk around and hear about a number of jobs that include sustainability and
working on going green. It was pretty cool. Shoop, Stefan and Nick had to sit
over by the Energize Worcester table and be rather bored, but I was lucky enough
to be over with the computing department and the 3D printer (Replicator 2) and
the robotics (line tracking robot built by George (one of the research
assistants for Colin (the head of computing))). It was a blast! I got to talk
about robotics, sensors, fields of study or robotics and 3D printing. I got to
talk about my knowledge of 3D printing too and start several print jobs. I also
talked about how 3D printers can take models from mesh to piece (for kids). We
also tried this sustainability driving sim where we had to shift and try to get
the best MPGs. I ended up with 62 MPGs (the second highest score for the
morning). After lunch we talked to the guy from the Worcester City news. It was
rather quick and he asked about the project and comparisons of the two cities.
After the interview and some sandwiches for lunch, Shoop and I peaced over to
the train station to pick up Shockey (while Stefan and Nick went to interview
one guy. We actually ended up meeting her at the café for the local museum. She
had ordered soup and bought Shoop and I food (I had this cherry and chocolate
cake and Shoop had a brie and something sandwich). The cake was quite good! The
cherries were very sweet and the cake wasn’t at all moist (sorry GlaDOS). We
had a great chat with Shockey about the project and our progress. She told us
that one group had sent out 7800 surveys via email and had only gotten 14
responses so we are doing quite well (having over 25 back already out of a
little over 100). After this chat we moved to the Horn and Trumpet to meet up
with Stefan and Nick while they ate. We had a great chat about nightlife and
the city before finally dropping Shockey off at train station again. We then
headed over to the Arboretum and surveyed for two hours. We had a great chat
with this one husband and wife (maybe early 60s) that had 4 cats and the one
cat absolutely loved sitting on my clipboard and stopping me from working. Also
there was a Siamese that loved getting some petting. After that is was the end
of the day and I bought pasta and food for cooking for Emma. After that I went skating
for about 40 minutes then rushed back to get work done before dinner! I killed
it on cooking chicken! Overall a very good night!
The station for the Computing department
That chocolate cherry cake
Dinner (gnocchi, penne, chicken, corn)



No comments:
Post a Comment