So I went to the Worcesterland party on Thursday night and
it was at the Peartree which is the pub on campus (so different than the states
except for the Goat’s head bar). Anyways I rolled in there at like 11 ish and
it only cost a quid to enter. They also gave out free shots. I tried one (but
sipped it slowly) which made it even worse. It was like some really bad cough
syrup. Eventually I survived it and just sat there messaging people. I was
supposed to meet Marceli there and so I was waiting by the bar forever and then
she showed up at like 12 ish. She is Brazilian and quite a bit shorter than I
had expected (like Jessie James height and she is 23 and an artistic figure
skater (who I met on Tinder of all places)). Anyways so then I basically sat
and talked to her for like an hour and a half about all things skating to the
states to geography and Brazil. It was a really chill time while there was a
quasi-rager going on downstairs. It had lasers and a huge open dance floor
(actually really open as there were only 4 chicks on the dance floor when I
arrived. There were a total of around like 20 people when I got there but
luckily people started piling in. At around 1:30 AM we decided to go downstairs
and try out the dancing there. The whole night I had been almost unable to talk
for whatever reason and constantly had to ask the woman behind the bar for
water (she thought it was hilarious by the end of the night). I met some interesting
peeps chilling at the bar like this dude named James who was a post-grad in
psychology. We had a good discussion of robotics. Anyways we went downstairs
and started dancing by the DJ booth in the corner of the floor about 3 minutes
before all the lights came on and the music stopped (almost Shaun of the Dead
style). It was pretty abrupt and the DJs couldn’t really do anything about it,
but it turns out the party was shut down due to noise complaints! So at like
1:30 AM many people simply left but Merceli and this other 26 year old woman
from Sweden named Sophie styed and we chatted about all things until about 3
AM. In our time chatting there this guy named Drew (who is blind and has a
service dog) would bust in on the conversation and try to rile me up (but I was
so chill that I would roll with it). He kept thinking it was hilarious to hear
my responses to his annoying questions. He would chat with us for like 5
minutes then say he was leaving and show up again in like 15 minutes. He did
this about 3 times and was continually annoying but I couldn’t really do
anything about it. At finally 3 AM the people closed down the student union
building and kicked us out. I headed back and went to sleep as I had to get up
at 8:05 AM (which was a struggle).
So now for actually Friday: Friday started off with me
wanting to chill in my bed and not move. I finally rolled myself out and fixed
some breakfast of toast with jam. Shoop came up and then we headed over the
office after food. It was a really chill day for work. First we worked somewhat
on just derping around waiting for Katy and then we talked to Peng instead. We
basically got nothing done until we met with Katy and Peng. They told us we had
to write two articles for the Transition Worcester and the City Council page
(about our project). So we cranked them out in almost no time whatsoever. We
also worked on the authorship page for the report and sent our methodology to
Shockey and Ruiz. I also set up a meeting with Paul Brohan for 10 AM on
Saturday at his house to talk about the ARA and Transition Worcester. We also
went to the information desk in the front lobby to ask about getting card
access to the secure bike storage by the dorms and the woman told us to go to
Firstpoint (another information desk) and pay for the access. So we peaced to
Firstpoint and filled out a form and without any fee had access. It’s strange
but we’ve been told multiple times that certain amenities will cost extra but
then we don’t have to pay for them. Anyways in the afternoon it was just those
articles and the authorship section. We ended work at like 4 PM because we
literally had finished everything and have to wait for meetings on Tuesday and
Monday to continue working on our project. After work we passed by the gym and
handed in forms (and now have gym access). Stefan wanted to go workout but I
had to take a nap as I was going to meet Marceli for skating at 5:30 PM. So at
5:30 PM I met her and we skated all the way down to the bridge from yesterday
and skated around the new housing development for some time. We started
swapping tricks (she would try to have me figure skate and I would throw down a
jam move). It was actually really chill and tiring. At like 7:40 PM we finally
got back to campus and I made tortellini and had her over for dinner (Shoop
also showed up). The tortellini were goat cheese and pesto (and were absolutely
delicious). After that she peaced back to her place and I got ready to head out
to the pub with Shoop to meet Katy Boom and Stefan and Nick at a place called
the Hand in Glove.
We arrived at the Hand in Glove at pretty much exactly at
9:30 PM. Katy had brought two other guys from the University (Nigel and James)
who were both really chill dude. Nigel was an older guy and James was probably
late 40s. Katy et al. had already started drinking and Katy bought Shoop and I
pints. IT was a very English beer with a distinct aftertaste (I liked it better
than the pint from London). I still don’t really like the taste of the pints.
WE were clustered around on chairs until finally there was a booth that opened
up. We then chatted and joked our way through the rest of the pints and more
drinks (I didn’t have anything until the Cuba Libres that Nick and I got). The
Cuba Libre is a mix of limes, coke and Bacardi rum. It was definitely harder to
taste the alcohol but had a distinct aftertaste that I wasn’t super fond of. I
started to not taste the alcohol and probably got a bit buzzed at this point
because I started spamming Tomko with stickers and pressing the “learned” words
to type. It wasn’t that different from what I usually do, but I guess it was
noticeable. I tried to prove that I was fine by asking for circuit diagrams and
reciting square roots. It was good. We also met Katy’s daughter who says Katy
goes out more than she does! Anyways after the pub we headed to a local cheap
pizza place with Katy’s daughter and got food there (I bought a coke). After
that we stood on the corner chilling and eating and decided to head back to the
University instead of going clubbing. Back at the university I think Nick,
Stefan and Shoop just chilled and went to bed. I should have done that but I
instead I decided to head to the Peartree to see Marceli at karaoke night. It
cost a quid to go in, but I paid it and headed in.
I walked around the two floors and didn’t see Marceli. After
much searching and messaging her I went downstairs and saw her singing karaoke.
I chilled with her friends and her and then we danced a bit (no grinding in the
UK). People were drinking quite a bit at this function. There were huge
pitchers everywhere. After one of her friends like freaked out and broke
something we went upstairs and chilled. It was kinda weird because I got caught
off talking to this short dude that was playing English pool. We were there
until like 2 something and then went downstairs and Ghostbusters came on. So I
raged to Ghostbusters and learned this new step dance. At like 3 AM we finally
got pushed out of the place. I had a call from Tomko! It was kinda strange as
it was FB call, but it was good to hear her voice again as I have been missing
her. After the call I headed back to the dorms to change into my skates to go
skating with Marceli. At like 3:30 AM we started skating around the campus. We
had made it to the front entrance and got started talking to these two drunk
dudes from karaoke night and it was forever talking to them. It was terrible as
I really wanted to skate so badly. Finally they left and she and I skated
around the entrance until like 4:30 AM and then sun was coming up (normally it
gets dark around 10:30 PM and we saw part of the sunrise and skated around
until 5 AM and I finally went to bed. It was a crazy long night….only had to
get up at 9 AM for the meeting with Brohan. I learned that I do not want to
drink more than 1 drink in a night. At any rate. It was okay.
Marceli's skates (with micro sized open bearings)
The other British beer
I think I found Avicii! (Also Marceli is on the left)



No comments:
Post a Comment