Sunday, May 25, 2014

Day 16 5/25/14 (Finally some good sleep!, leaflet bombing the Arboretum, skating!!!!!, last day with Marceli)

So I had told Shoop I didn’t really want to get up before about 1 for lunch as it was about 2:40 AM when I left the party. Anyways so after I woke up (I felt so well rested today!!!!) and showered, I went to make lunch. Shoop eventually came up and we talked through covering the Arboretum with the metric futz-ton of leaflets he and I folded yesterday. For lunch he and I demolished the huge plate of pasta I had accumulated from the last few days. We texted Stefan and Nick to get them to help us as we didn’t want to cover the whole area ourselves. Luckily they responded today! So we met them downstairs and biked over to the Arboretum. I had to carry the box of leaflets on my handlebars the entire way without issue. Once we got there, we divided up the streets and divvied up the goods. We then hit the streets to slip the papers through the slots! I covered my area pretty quickly and had basically run out of leaflets by the time I met up with Stefan, Nick and Shoop. One of the interesting encounters I had while leafleting the houses was on Lowell street. I was walking down one side of the street when I noticed policemen standing behind this one car with a resident looking at something on the ground. As I got closer I realized there was a dude lying with his head on the curb. At first I thought it was a murder. Seemed the most logical thought haha. As I got closer I saw him moving so no Barnaby I suppose. It was weird though. I couldn’t tell what had happened except that maybe the guy on the ground was a homeless dude who had passed out there or had hit his head or hurt himself somehow. It may have been something worse, but I’m not sure. At any rate I leafleted around them and snagged a photo too. The rest of the leafleting was pretty low key after that. Although I have to say one time I was opened the mail and a dog tried to bite my fingers and was snapping at the slot so I just delicately put the letter through and he bit it and took it in his mouth. So I guess that resident won’t know what we are up to…After some reshuffling of routes and covering a few more areas, we managed to distribute all the leaflets in about an hour and forty minutes! BAM! TEAMWORK! After that we wanted to go to a pub to get some lunch, but it wasn’t serving lunch on Sundays so they went to another place and I to the coop to get some jam for 40 pence. As I was checking out the store was closing at 4 PM and the woman announced closing in 5 minutes as she rang up the jam! That’s so early! Also they didn’t like my VISA there for some reason…After that I walked back to the city campus and got on my bike with the now-empty box and rode to Sainsbury’s which was closing at 5 so I had some time. I went in there and got some more canned corn, peanut butter and blackberries! Literally the blackberries were only 25 pence for a small package (marked down from £2!!!) so I bought two of the cases. I really find myself at Sainsbury’s almost every day…I am eating most of my meals at home (not going out and trying to save money, so I don’t mind it). I think that when I go back home to the States I really want to cook for myself as I can save so much money and really eat better than I do eating the catered food at LCA! Also I get to pick what I want to have. Sure it will take more time and I don’t always have time, but I’ll survive. At any rate after I got back from Sainsbury’s (I think my back tire is getting flat) I stored food, snacked and decided I really wanted to go skating as it was beautiful out. Probably like 60 degrees and sunny (no rain finally! (it was bad yesterday when I was trying to fold leaflets and not have it downpour (I even had to spend time with Katy getting all the danged leaflets printed so I spent a good 6 hours working on the project yesterday, so I could take an entire weekday off basically! (as Shockey says we can take off time we spend on weekends during the week, but since I am the “leader” then I can’t do that or the project won’t get done)))). At any rate I grabbed my skates and headed out. Sadly Marceli was busy packing up as she is leaving tomorrow at 3:45 AM (AM!!) and so she couldn’t go. I skated my standard route down to the apartments and back. While I was practicing at the apartments these little BMX kids came over to the garage where I was practicing and mocked my jamming and then stole the grip off a bicycle that was chained inside of the garage. They first threw it back toward the bike and I put it back on, but then this one doofus took it and rode off again. I really hope they get busted for something else because futz those kids they are off to a great career already. Going to amount to so much I am sure. I was killing it at skating on the way back. I did the one car bridge to the last bridge on the Severn twice and got my speed skate on! After skating I showered and had dinner which was tea, yogurt, blackberries, this great seed/multigrain bread sandwich of turkey salami and a PB&J combined (the sandwich combination is actually really really good and I recommend it). After that I met Marceli and worked on typing this blog up. It has been a chill time since then. I’m going to miss having her around for skating and chilling after work. Maybe I’ll see her again. Who knows. Either way, I’m happy that I don’t have work tomorrow! Sleeping in and then working on the paper revisions -.-// (haha I’ll survive). At any rate peace!
Morning

What is this? Where is Barnaby?

Ain't nothing like a police call on a Sunday morning!

The small river that is the one edge of the Arboretum

Looking at the greenhouse and area that so many take pictures of the Arboretum from


Looking from city campus toward the river

Swan attack!

No comments:

Post a Comment