Tuesday, May 13, 2014

Day 3 5/12/14 (A short day with travelling, eating, missed sleeping and finally settling in)

I am going to apologize here for not wanting to write all that much for this entry. I have been getting a sore throat for the past day (5/12 into 5/13) and subsequently have not had the energy to properly write out a longer entry for these days. I’ll settle for writing a small entry for each day of 5/12 and 5/13 and then post quite a number of photos I have sitting around.

                Anyways 5/12 was a good day all things considered. I woke up and pounded through a solid double-plate amount of food at the hotel (free food!) to start the day. I think the staff thought I was crazy and could just eat like a vacuum (which isn’t too far from the truth…). After that it was last minute packing for the train ride to Worcester, England. At 9:15 AM we hoofed it across some of town to the Euston Underground for the metro to the other above ground train station. I saw a chick dragging here gym bag on the ground. You hate to see that when we have invented wheels thousands of years ago.
               
You could carry it? Or we do have castors now...

                After boarding the train with Professor Goulding and Professor Ruiz we had a 2.5 hour trip to the Worcester rail station. It was rather uneventful as I basically got to sit on the train and catch up on my blogging (which I forever seem to be behind on). The train was about the same caliber and style of an Amtrak train here (which I know so well after travelling home on them to PA from MA). I sat on the train for the most part typing and jamming out to music before I finally realized that I forgotten to plug in my headphones (I realized this when my computer was playing 3 Way by Lonely Island and Lady Gaga). I had put the earbuds in my ears but had never plugged in the 3 mm plug. I felt so bad for those around me. Sorry all. After arriving Katy and Peng met us at the station (almost ambushing us as soon as we stepped off the train). We then took this mini-bus from the station to the University of Worcester campus which we had seen over Google Maps before. We then dropped stuff off in the rooms. THE ROOMS ARE SO EPIC!!! First off, they are singles and have a shower and toilet in them. Second, each room is part of a flat with like 7 other singles and a shared kitchen. Each room is also like half the size of a Morgan triple! So bam! That’s some nice accommodations!
My single!


We then had a meeting with Katy, Peng, Ruiz and Goulding and went over the project and everything at the University. Nothing major. After all of that we dealt with getting computer access with Peng Li and then went back to the rooms. Stefan and Nick are living in the housing across the small courtyard form the building Shoop and I are in. They both live in the party flat. The University is epic. The ratio is 68 to 32 % female to male 68%!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! That’s the reverse of the WPI ratio basically but with so many women!! So many women we don’t know what to do with all of them! Despite that it still is really not evident here as all of them are diligently studying for finals in the library and the other studying location in the center of campus (where I sit working on this blog). The University is also a liberal arts college with biology being the most hardcore science they offer. So no EE labs to tinker in -.-\\ no soldering irons. Such sadness. Anyways Shoop and I even walked around the River Severn. It is so beautiful around campus and the town with the river running through the center. There are only about 100,000 people so it’s really small and even has pine trees! I even got my skates and skated along the river for a bit too! It was so nice. I found this new apartment complex that was being built and skated around on the patio tiles near the front (which were empty). It was really chill and I got to bust a move for like 45 minutes. I FINALLY MANAGED TO GET THE GRAPEVINE DOWN!!!!!! SO STOKED!!!!!!!!!! WOOT! I then skated back to get food at the supermarket with Shoop. We checked out two different markets and I got pasta and like three loaves of bread. Carbs (bread and pastas are the only not expensive things here…). I even got milk and blueberry filled shredded Wheaties for like £2. Good deal. I only spent like $40 on groceries -.- So expensive for everything here. Like a burger is usually like £8 to £12 (almost $16 to $24 !!!). I’m quietly sobbing. At any rate Shoop and I tried to make pasta and it literally took us like an hour and a half to boil water in a pot. It was really sad. The burner didn’t seem to want to heat up at all. I also ate half a baguette (the lady at the store thought I was hilarious when I was so stoked to buy one (it’s called a crusty stick and only cost 40 pence (cause it was coming close to the sell by date?))). After 2 hours passed it was finally pasta (penne) time and it was delish. After that I tried to go to bed although I felt myself getting sick (and I was trying to drink orange juice concentrate with 10% juice). By the way that concentrate is really strong. You have to dilute it like 4 parts water to 1 part concentrate. I finished a whole glass without any water. My taste buds are still virtually broken.  

Our "office" with Professor Goulding on the left (also Shoop, Nick and Stefan L to R)

Peng Li and Katy Boom 

The infamous pasta after swapping burners to boil water

No comments:

Post a Comment